Tuesday, March 16, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, What does that mean to me?

Today someone at work disrespected me. He raised his voice and talked down to me. I didn't like that.
I talked to my boss and his boss about the incident. My boss is the president of the Bank that I work for and is really nice to everyone. He told me that he tries to treat everyone with respect, whether it is someone that he works with or someone in his neighborhood. And that got me to start thinking "Do I respect everyone I come in contact with?"
I think that I am a nice person. I try to be pleasant and polite. But sometimes there are those individuals that you run across that really test you, those ones that irritate you. The person who is driving 35 mph in a 50 mph zone and there is no way to get around them. The person who get in the Express lane at Walmart with obviously more than 10 items. The arrogant co-worker who thinks that you are beneath him.
I pride myself in getting along with everyone that I work with and being able to work with a lot of different personalities. I feel that working in the administrative field, it's important to get along with those that you support for a more productive, friendly environment. When you don't get along with those who you work with, it makes going to work dreadful.
When individuals that you work with, that are in your church group, or maybe even people you live with are disrespectful to you, it makes you want to show them the same thing. Everyone wants to be respected though. Everyone has something good to give.
The bottom line I have come to is simple. It's something I always heard growing up: Treat others how you want to be treated. Even if they don't show you respect, it's still important to show them respect.

1 comment:

Loan Dude said...

I always think of rule #1 and everything works out just fine: Can't fix stupid.

Sometimes you just have to learn to adapt. No other way around it.