Thursday, December 20, 2012

I heard about a tragedy at work today that gave me a flashback of a tragedy 17 years ago today.

I was 11 years old. It was the morning of December 20. I woke up (I must of not had school this day) and walked out to the kitchen where I saw my mother crying on the telephone. This was usually not a good sign. I listened to the conversation for a bit and knew something was terribly wrong. I turned around, without thinking I was seen, and crawled back in bed. I waited for the bad news to come. My mother came into my bedroom with tears streaming down her face. She kneeled at my bedside and proceeded to tell me that last night, my best friends mother slipped on some ice, hit head first on the cement and was in a coma. Her brain was too swollen to do anything and they would be taking her off life support this morning. My best friends family was good friends with my family. I was heartbroken. For the first time in my life, I really felt I was experiencing a personal tragedy. The only other family accident I remember is my grandma having a major stroke and miraculously, she turned out to be just fine.

After my mother left my room, I kneeled down at the side of my bed and prayed as hard as I could for a miracle to happen and for my best friends mother to be ok. I bargained with the Lord. I pleaded and cried. Later that morning, during my piano lesson with my mom, my best friend called me from the hospital. She was sobbing. She called to tell me that she couldn't have a planned sleepover tonight because her mom just died. I was speechless. What could I possible say to my best friend to comfort her or express my sadness? I'm sure I mumbled out a few "I'm so sorry" statements and she told me she would talk to me later. I always knew Christmas would never be the same for her and her family.

Today I learned of a co-worker's father passing away yesterday in a similar accident. I would consider myself friends with this co-worker and my heart aches for him and his family and once again, I am left speechless, wanting to express sympathy but not sure of the best way. I'm sure Christmas will never be the same for him and his family.

With all of the recent tragedies across the nation, reach out to those you love and let them know how much you love and appreciate them. Forgive others. Accepts others forgiveness. Let go of grudges. This holiday season can be wonderful time of reflecting, loving and sharing. Love as Christ loved - without judgement and without hesitation. I love hearing from each of my siblings that they love me, whether it's a short "love you" at the end of phone conversation, when leaving each others company or the phrase at the end of an email, it means a lot to me.

I don't know how many people actually read my blog but for those who come across this post, I would like to wish you all a very merry holiday season - however you celebrate. May you feel God's love for you.

No comments: