Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Childhood Memory

Maybe the title should be more appropriately titled "teen and young adult memory" but there is something that just sounds so wrong about that....

Starting my freshman year (9th grade), I started to take a liking to the Worldwide Wrestling Federation (WWF or now because of an animal activist group, the WWE). My brother used to always be watching wrestling so I was sometimes forced to sit and watch it if I wanted to watch any TV. Soon I got to know the wrestlers' characters, signature moves and story lines. And my obsession with The Rock was born.



I loved The Rock. My mom gave me The Rock's autobiography for Christmas when I was 16. My walls were plastered with Rock posters. My mom said for every Rock poster I had, I had to have a picture of Jesus. Yeah. That didn't happen. I would watch every Monday Night Raw and Thursday Night Smackdown to hear The Rock's hilarious rants and to watch his awesome matches. When Monday Night Raw came to do a live show from SLC, you bet your bottom dollar I was there! I made a poster in red glitter that said "I want the Rock's Bottom" - you see, The Rock had a signature move called The Rock Bottom. My mom was none too happy with that poster. Two of my best girlfriends took me to see "The Scorpion King"  in theatres on my birthday my senior year. Awww, great friends. While The Rock's career moved forward and he was less and less on the wrestling circuit, my interest faded as well. Until John Cena. But that's another blog for another time :)

This past weekend I was dogsitting for my sister while she was out of town. She has Netflix streaming into her bedroom, so I thought it would be a great idea to fall asleep to a movie. Not ever really dealing with Netflix, I was in awe to see all the movies at my disposal. As I flipped through my options, I came to something that could make me the happiest girl in that moment - a documentary on Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's career rise through wrestling and acting. Yesssss. And it was two hours. As I watched and listened to some of The Rock's best lines and wrestling career moments, I remembered back to a time when all I had to worry about was my hair, my math homework and who The Rock was wrestling that night. Ahhh, yes. Those were the days. Now it's things like health insurance, car repairs and how to get the homeless men to stop hitting on me on Trax.

If ya smmmmeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..... what The Rock..... is cookin'.

No comments: